Monday, July 10, 2006

telespringar

I still haven't seen the World Cup final. Why, you ask? Well, because someone thought it was a good idea to schedule a Norwegian dance workshop at 3:00 on the day that the World Cup final started at 2:00. Was this dumb? Yes, I would argue, it was.

But I decided to go to the workshop anyway, because (a) Brazil lost in the quarterfinals, and (b) as has been previously noted, I am now a big folk-dancing freak. When I left home at half-time, I left the VCR recording the rest of the game. I haven't watch it yet, but the fiddler's husband brought us updates during the workshop, so I know how it ended.

Anyway, the workshop was GREAT. The teacher was this old guy from Norway who was in town for a week-long Scandinavian dance camp held in Western Maryland last week. But "old guy from Norway" doesn't quite capture his excellent charm. Neither does this picture, which kind of just makes him look like an elf. This guy is totally the grown-up version of one of the Norwegian dancer boys from the Christmas show. (The short one, who is upside down in this picture and on the right in this picture.) They're from the same valley in Telemark.

If I may be allowed to brag, he told me I'm his new favorite Washington-area dancer, and lest I think he says that to all the girls (because he totally seemed like a guy who would say that to all the girls), he told everyone else so, too. Ooh! Compliment me more! More, please! That wasn't enough! Anyone else want to compliment me? The comment button is right there!

He was super fun to dance with, and now I can't *wait* til the dance weekend in Wisconsin next week, where the short one will be one of the teachers.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Now everyone will understand why we have crossed over into the shady underworld of folk-dancing. Cute boys of all ages!

grrrbear said...

So...does this mean that you'll be joining in when the Druids start folk-dancing at our 10-year next summer?

towwas said...

Not unless they've gotten a hell of a lot cuter and cleaner and hired someone who can play hardanger fiddle.