Friday, November 17, 2006

today

Today I sang in a little concert at the World Bank. Does it get more D.C. than that? I also saw a ridiculously large motorcade. It better have been the president, because no one else could possibly need a half-freakin-mile of entourage...although I think for the president they also have circling helicopters and random cop cars (DC, Park Police, Secret Service - a potpourri o' police) stationed at all the intersections.

Once when I was walking to work from the metro, a few years ago, there was this Park Police helicopter going around and around and around and around, really low. Finally, as I was walking across Rock Creek Park, it landed - this freaking huge helicopter - on a tiny, tiny bit of grass. One of the dudes inside got out...and checked out an open manhole. I can't remember if he actually got into the manhole, but he definitely poked around in the back of the workers' pickup truck. Then he got back in the helicopter and they flew away. That was the entire point of the whole 15-minute thing. To check out a manhole cover along a motorcade route. Dontcha think they could've sent a dude in a car to do that? There were plenty of cars around, seeing as how they were stationed at all the intersections.

Anyway. Don't forget to scroll down to the next entry and tell J.Bro how awesome he is. Only two more awesomeness comments to go, my friends.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What's the story of singing at the World Bank?

I'm using some of their data (specifically, classifications for developing states' economic conditions) in my dissertation. I hope you sang about that.

Annie said...

Sounds like a great D.C. day. I've always wondered, is a great big procession really the safest way to transport the president? Does it not call an undue amount of attention to onesself? Would being more inconspicuous help with the safety thing?

towwas said...

It was a little outreach gig for Revels. They were having some multicultural performance thing - we were between the Colombian dancers and the African drummers. (Senegalese, I think.) I think next year's Revels is about the economics of the developing world, though, so we'll totally be singing the "Statistics Wassail" this time next year.