Friday, November 10, 2006

nails

Tonight at the fabric store I saw this woman with the most amazing nails I have ever seen. They went about three inches past the end of her fingers and they curved way down. I mean, you look at someone like that and you think, "Wow, she must not do much with her hands." But she was at a *fabric* store! Buying fabric! For a project! I watched her pick a spool of thread out of a rack and it was a major operation - it involved using the very tips of her freaky fingernails, and there was a lot of fumbling. I had my camera on me, but I figured she might think it was kind of weird if I'd taken a picture. (Although, come to think of it, she's probably very proud of them.)

Other mysterious thing: she was buying a few yards each of two fabrics and some random trim. The fabrics were football team prints. Ok, wouldn't be my first choice, but whatever, she had a football project. But one was a Cowboys print and the other was a Redskins print. That's just weird. Who buys both?

And I still can't imagine how she's going to thread a needle.

2 comments:

Stacey Pelika said...

If you want to see lots of good nails, spend some time in Philadelphia. When I was doing research there, I'd see the craziest nails - embedded jewels, wacky and intricate designs, the whole deal. Those with the impressive nails were also fond of wearing fancy track suits - it was like a whole style philosophy.

Annie said...

ewwwwwwwww
Howard Hughes was supposed to have foot-long nails at some point. And I hear that the longest nails (Guinness Book) are several feet long and curl around 360 degrees multiple times. Like a telephone cord, but on a huge scale. I wonder if they put nail polish on the whole thing?