Sunday, September 10, 2006

boots

For the Christmas show this year, we have to get shoes along these lines - old-fashioned boots in black leather that come up over the ankle with little or no heel.

Finding shoes for the Christmas show is totally stressful. My first year I was convinced I wasn't going to be able to find shoes and they wouldn't let me be in the show. (I ended up finding a pair that the costume ladies were willing to allow about a week and a half before we opened.) I used the same shoes again last year, but they really didn't come far enough up my foot, and once during a rehearsal my dance partner lifted me right out of one of them. Oops.

This year, though, my trusty, comfy flats won't cut it. It has to be boots. They suggested trying thrift stores, so I looked at Value Village today, but all the ankle boots have zippers. We have to have laces. And somehow I don't think my hiking boots are going to cut it with the costume ladies.

Why couldn't Early Americans wear black flats like everyone else? The most likely possibility is that I'll find a pair of boots, and they'll be totally uncomfortable, and I'll be stuck with them for eight freaking performances and countless hours of dress rehearsal. Ugh. (Not Ugg.)

3 comments:

Talentedhands said...

I had to get those boots for Victorian! I still have them, if you're a size 6 1/2. How are you, by the way?

towwas said...

Size 6 1/2. In my dreams. Or in, like, 7th grade. These days, I wear a 10.

Unknown said...

What about the vintage clothing section on ebay? If you pretend these shoes are the "It" their commercials keep telling me about, I can't imagine you would have any trouble finding them.