Monday, October 03, 2005

the layoffs have fallen...

...and not on me. So, good and bad. Good that I am (for the time being) still employed; bad because I worry that my line of work is in trouble. There've been big layoffs lately at the N.Y. Times and the Philly Inquirer, and I just heard a rumor this morning that L.A. Times is gearing up for a round. I don't know what's wrong. I wish I did. I suppose it's the internet - that's what everyone blames. And it certainly makes sense that, if you can read the paper for free online, you're not going to subscribe on paper. But I wish people did anyway. I get the Post, even though I only spend a few minutes a day flipping through it. But it brings me Get Fuzzy and the TV schedule and the news of the latest murders...and even with the ink on my hands, I just like having a real paper to read.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

wow, that is scary! so glad you are still employed. I have to admit I don't get print editions of any newspaper anymore because it is hard to keep something that loose out of the hands of little miss. I do still get magazines though, I like to have something to hold in my hand and read on the couch. go periodicals!

grrrbear said...

While I subscribe to three or four magazines, I don't subscribe to the local paper. I just don't care about news in Chicago as a whole, or chicago sports teams. So neither the Trib nor the Sun-Times appeal to me. Yet whenever I go visit my dad, I spend the first hour or two every morning in the kitchen with my beloved Star Tribune.

Interestingly, a new weekly paper just started in my neighborhood. It's free and it's actually got me looking forward to Thursdays, although I'm not sure why. I guess it just seems more relevant than papers for the entire city.