Tuesday, October 04, 2005

health! in! action!

So I'm probably the first person in the history of the world to say this, but I have insomnia, and I'm kind of psyched about it. I woke up a while ago, after a really long time being semi-woke-up and very confused, and now I've memorized the lyrics to a Danish/English song I have to know for December and started working on one of the Finnish ones. I'm on FIRE, people. Fire, I tell you. (Dejlig er den himmel blå, lyst det er at se der på....)

Why would I be happy about insomnia? Because of this darn story I've been working on for so long. (It's been scheduled two or three times, but hurricanes and supreme court nominees keep pushing it aside.) (It's a generous story - doesn't want to take the spotlight.) I haven't had insomnia for years, and ta-da, here it is. Just in time to inspire me to greatness.

I'm also happy because I know it's caused by a medication. I've been all sniffly since August, but anyone who knows me knows that I'm pretty much sniffly all the time. But, without sharing any of the gory details, it's been a lot worse than usual the last couple of months. I just figured it was bad ragweed, but finally yesterday I was like, ok, I should call Kaiser. And I was talking to the advice nurse, and she's asking all her questions, and she asks how long I've had the symptoms, and I say, "August...?" and she says "AUGUST???!!!???" She was like, yeah - that qualifies as a sinus infection.

My doctor didn't even have to see me - she called me yesterday afternoon, I recited the symptoms again, and she called in a prescription for antibiotics and one for cough syrup. The antibiotics were generic and $6.50 and I have to take them all, of course, but the cough syrup was $15, and it said on the directions it might cause insomnia, and I am so not taking it again.

I feel like I'm walking, talking proof that HMOs don't lead to overuse of healthcare. Ok, in this case, the HMO actually should have given me some antibiotics a month ago, but that's my own fault for refusing to call when my mom originally told me to.

6 comments:

grrrbear said...

My dear TOWWAS,

As someone who used to be a chronic sniffler, I will attest to the power of antibiotics in making my life immeasurable better. It turns out that any time you are sniffly for longer than 7-10 days, whatever cold you had has probably morphed into a sinus infection, and can be cleared up right quick with a 5 day z-pak. So don't even wait next time.

As for the insomnia, I recommend watching more Golf channel.

Mmmmm...western medicine...

towwas said...

Nuh-uh, for real? Wow. I'll have to try that next time. But I have allergies, so I kind of expect to sniffle all the time. Huh.

Golf channel...too bad I don't have cable.

grrrbear said...

I've got 'em too, but I only have them for a couple months in the spring and fall. That's what Claritin (or the not-locked-up generic equivalents from Walgreens or Target) is for. If I'm on those and still am sniffly then I know it's a cold.

Stacey Pelika said...

Claritin does next-to-nothing for me and yet I take it because that's all my HMO will give me. But I think I've finally decided that I have a cold. I've been feeling on the edge of sick for a while, and then today [do not read next part of this sentence if yucked out by snot] I was in the shower and realized that my sinuses decided to purge snot all over the place. Well, mainly my face. It was really gross. And made me think that maybe I'm actually sick rather than just allergy-y.

towwas said...

Ha! That was really disgusting! Maybe it's time to call the doctor.

towwas said...

Ok, after two weeks, the insomnia has gotten kind of old.