Thursday, September 01, 2005

stormy weather

Covering this hurricane is rough. I'm mostly talking to hospital PR people...in Alabama. We're not talking about the center of the action here. But I still keep almost crying during interviews. Oh, and I'm talking to people who are coordinating the Southern Baptists' relief efforts. They have these mobile feeding units - trailers that sit around until disaster time - that can make tens of thousands of hot meals a day. There's one in Baton Rouge and one pushing through to Gulfport, and others all around the region.

2 comments:

J.Po said...

I'm really affected too ... and I'm not even remotely working on this. I just can't get over the situation today, which seems to have fallen into complete anarchy. No wonder. Those people haven't eaten in days. And they have no idea whether or not help is on the way. So incredibly sad!

Stacey Pelika said...

I'm currently reading the Times-Picayune site (www.nola.com), and they have a section called "Your Stories," which are little things submitted by readers. They are very, very sad - lots of messages from people who know people who are trapped somewhere (and are communicating via text messages or whatever) and many desperate pleas to help them.