Friday, April 06, 2007

present

O my bloggy friends, perhaps you can help me with the dilemma of the day/week. So, my lovely colleague McG has been giving me rides for most of the last four years. Yow. And she won't accept money for gas or parking or anything. Occasionally I feed the meter, but other than that I'm pretty much dead weight. Given that she has saved me hundreds, ok, maybe thousands, of dollars over the years, what the heck do I give her as a final thank-you gift? (I've been giving her the occasional bottle of wine/chocolates from Denmark/scarf/etc. along the way.)

Despite having spent all that time in the car with her, I don't really know what she'd like. If this helps you, she has two teenagers, loves the movie Miracle, owns (and listens to) a James Blunt CD, isn't particularly into technology, hates flying. And is a totally outstanding person (she's also edited me a lot in the past few years, always beautifully and with never a hint of evil).

Any thoughts? I've thought of such things as a spa gift certificate (people like spas, right?) or a restaurant gift certificate (but I don't know what kind of restaurant). The new iPod shuffles are adorable...but she might already have a nano or something. Shoot. I should've been collecting my McG trivia more carefully over the years.

Help!

2 comments:

erin*carly said...

spa certificate is ALWAYS a good gift. (or at least a good gift if the person is open to others touching them. my mom hates people touching her, so spa for her is futile.) don't forget, i used to work in the industry and saw many many people just melt walking into the spa for a day of relaxation.

other than that, a certificate to a really nice restaurant for her and her husband sans-children would be a good i-dont-want-to-get-you-anything-you-already-have gift. a night out is always appreciated, and never happens enough.

i've never really given a gift such as this before . . . so really, i'm not sure beyond this.

Anonymous said...

As a foodie wannabe, I have to cast my vote for a restaurant gift certificate. ;)

But a spa day seems to also be a good choice, and it carries the connotation of luxury!