Sunday, December 31, 2006

scarf kick

For the last several months, I've been on a scarf kick. Remember how I started buying wool sweaters to turn them into a blanket, then realized that a blanket made of felted sweaters would weigh a million pounds? Well, I went to a hipster craft show with J.Chu this fall and discovered a woman selling scarves made from felted sweaters. She just cut 'em into strips and sewed them together. It was cute and fuzzy genius. So I borrowed her idea, modified it, and to make a long story short, everyone got scarves for Christmas this year.

Well, today Miss Shirley was wearing her scarf, and a stranger totally complimented her on it! It is a lovely scarf, if I do say so myself - a burgundy color, from a Ralph Lauren sweater, and it's a silk/wool blend so it's totally soft and lush. At one end I sewed on a spiral made from a strip of fabric from that sweater and a strip from a gray sweater. I've been toying with the idea of selling scarves on etsy, and the fact that a stranger gave one of my scarves a compliment kind of makes me think it's not a bad idea.

I wonder how much I would charge? Twenty seems like a nice round number, but they aren't perfect. I'd hate for people to get one and be like, sheesh, for 20 bucks, I thought I'd get a flat seam.

This isn't Miss Shirley's scarf, but it's the same general idea (I gave it to my sister-in-law):


I can't wait for Kay Ray's scarf to get to her so I can post a picture of it! It's the cutest scarf ever.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Wow, super cute! I love the curly bit stuck on for decoration. I hadn't heard of "Etsy" before but enjoyed surfing their site. I say go for it! And keep us informed of your success!

Anonymous said...

And she loves it!
-- the sister-in-law