Thursday, October 19, 2006

babies

I spent much of Monday and Tuesday talking to doctors about infertility. It's really kind of alarming. I'm not in a particular rush to have kids, and not entirely sure I ever want them, but it rapidly becomes clear, in talking to fertility doctors, that my body may make that decision for me - if it hasn't already. Right now I feel like, eh, whatever, but I'm a little worried that in a few years, some random maternal instinct will suddenly appear and take over my life.

The doctors I talked to were fascinating, and funny sometimes too. (One said she feels bad telling people they're old and fat, but sometimes, that's the problem.) I learned a ton - for example, while all those procedures are expensive as all get-out, they're not actually, on the whole, as physically uncomfortable as you'd think. Granted, it was doctors telling me that, not patients, but they seemed to believe it. Also, all those celebrities who have babies at 40-bazillion? Donor eggs.

Then Tuesday afternoon, after two days of this, I saw someone from my cohort in grad school when I was driving, so I called an old friend, SeaCap, to get his number. And SeaCap told me she's having a baby in February! SeaCap and CarPal are so cool, they're guaranteed to have awesome offspring, and I can't wait to meet the baby. It was so nice to hear after two days of hearing about aging ovaries and whatnot. (I don't think any of you have met SeaCap or CarPal, but rest assured that they're way cool. Swallowed My Flea could vouch for them, but he isn't a regular blog reader.)

No comments: