Friday, September 01, 2006

justin

Ok, first: the most outlandish thing that has happened since the beginning of my enforced blog silence.

Yes, you heard that right: I paid good money to see Justin Timberlake in concert. Right, *that* Justin Timberlake. The former member of 'N Sync who used to date Britney.

Here's why this is not completely insane.

1. Justin's hot.
2. Justin can dance. He makes that wacky choreography look cool.
3. Admit it, Rock Your Body is a fantastic pop song.

I never would have paid to see Justin Timberlake in an arena - come on, thousands of screaming 14-year-olds, I think not - but this was 18 and up and it was at the 9:30 club. So J.Chu and I could hang out in the back and still be only, like, 50 feet from the stage. (The same stage where I have seen They Might Be Giants, Belle & Sebastian, and Air - this was a little different.) We bought our tickets the normal way, but a couple of days before the concert, I checked online and found tickets for $300-$500.

He had about an eight-piece band and four backup singers. The encore was this superextended version of SexyBack (the new single), with Timbaland, the most adorable little producer guy ever, AND! AND! for a local touch, they threw in a GO-GO version of SexyBack! What is go-go, you ask? Why, it's D.C.'s indigenous subgenre of funk, of course! It has a really distinctive beat. The crowd went freaking crazy.

It was good times. And, suiting my suburban sensibilities, it was non-smoking and it started on time. Heaven.

4 comments:

Asian Mistress said...

I was there too! :)

Unknown said...

Justin Timberlake is awesome and anyone who reads this anytime and subsequently sees me in person can just shut up about it.

Annie said...

heheheheh I seem to like Justin Timberlake too, lately. Well I didn't know I did until I listened to "Sexyback," and enjoyed it maybe more than I should. Actually it's the only song I've heard of his, so I will check out the songs you allude to. There is a great video on youtube called "Bring Sexy Britney Back," which is Justin's "sexyback" with spliced in old Britney videos, and MAN, she was HOT HOT HOT and an incredible dancer. I'm glad you enjoyed the concert!

Annie said...

OK I just watched part of the "Justin can dance" linked video, and well, it's pretty sweet... but it still doesn't rival the pre-freaky Michael Jackson, does it!