Tuesday, September 05, 2006

into the woods

So, yes, during my blogless period, Miss Shirley and I hosted yet another whiz-bang crazy-happenin supafly musical-singing party. It was Stephen Sondheim's obnoxiously difficult Into the Woods, and it went quite well, thank you very much. Those of us involved in the utterly devilish "Your Fault" (four or five vocal lines, fifty bazillion key changes, very very fast) were proud to all end at the same time, even if we didn't necessarily stay in sync through the whole middle. I decided Cinderella is the part I was born to play. And we all can bear witness to the fact that Z.Han totally rocked the Witch. She was amaaazing. Amaaaaaaaazing. A. Maze. Ing. What a voice, and in my very own living room! We had two accompanists this time, who managed music written in up to six flats with aplomb. By which I mean, *I* couldn't tell if they were making mistakes. Who could? It's Sondheim!

Next up: I don't know. Maybe West Side Story. But we're probably going to wait until Christmas Show season is over, with its accompanying social organizing duties. Yep, it's that time again - rehearsals start a week from Wednesday!

3 comments:

grrrbear said...

Not that I'm a musical-lover, but why not try something with more violence? Like Little Shop of Horrors or Sweeny Todd?

Besides, I think Johnny Depp just signed on to an upcoming movie version of Sweeny Todd, so you'd get to it before all the hype hits.

BTW - so glad you're back!

towwas said...

What, West Side Story isn't violent enough for you? What kind of bloodthirsty freak are you?

grrrbear said...

A big one. I'm still waiting for "Red Dawn - The Musical", featuring hits like:

"Why Invade Colorado?"
"AVENGE ME!"
"Will My Daughters be Safer With a Pack of Teenage Boys or In the Basement?"
"Hold Me Brother While I Die"