Monday, May 08, 2006

acog


I'm spending a couple of days scouting for story ideas at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' annual clinical meeting. This morning I had a few minutes free, so I wandered through the exhibition hall. The booths are giant monuments to swag - note the edifice Wyeth built, and the small mob of people waiting to get their personalized engraved pens. (The mob grew rapidly - this was right after the hall opened.)

I wandered up and down the aisles eying the free drug samples, tote bags, and vast selection of pens. Personalization seemed to be big. In addition to the Wyeth pens, I saw personalized prescription pads and personalized portfolios on offer. I don't think they would give me a prescription pad. Well, really, I hope they wouldn't. Seeing as how I'm not a doctor.

I also saw tons of devices - cases of speculums, a wide variety of forceps, and many machines I could not identify. I imagine the perky young sales people would have been happy to explain, but those perky sales people make me nervous.

3 comments:

J.Po said...

I wonder if that's how CrazyTomCruise got a sonogram. Did you know that the state of California is not trying to ban the sale of sonograms to non-doctors because of concern around over-use by laypeople and potential damage to fetuses?

I Blog, You Blog said...

I'm still stuck over the idea of an engraved speculum. Talk about nipping your dating life in the bud... Wow.

Sophist said...

oooh, cases of speculums. that's a horrific thought.

And yes, I also wonder about crazytomcruise and his stupid sonogram. what a psycho. he's probably triggered massive premature cell death in his child.