Tuesday, February 14, 2006

'twas the night before valentine's

Shopping the day before Valentine's day is crazy in specific ways. This afternoon at The Paper Source: ridiculously long line, and it wasn't even lunch time. Everyone was picking up cards. Me, I took my brand-new travel journal to the secret cash register upstairs.

After work (on my way to meet Beaker for this band's $13 show) I walked by a Victoria's Secret. There was a crazy long line inside, and a lot of uncomfortable-looking men milling around solo. I took my underwear-shopping business to the Filene's Basement across the street.

Beaker and I grabbed dinner at Whole Foods before the show. They had wine, chocolate, and strawberry shortcake tastings by the salad bar, and the guy in front of me was buying flowers and Yuengling.

The squash soup was excellent, the corn muffin was a little dry, and the Hem show was great. Several alums of The Alma Mater were there, and we had a grand old time. (If you're deeply acquainted with my freshman year floor, the crowd included the energetic Texan and my roommate's tenor boyfriend.)

5 comments:

towwas said...

Yeah, I fell so behind on the All Songs Considered podcasts that I gave up. Hem's music is really, really nice, though. You can also listen to realplayer clips straight from their website - I recommend anything from Eveningland and the cover of So. Central Rain. Woo R.E.M.!

Annie said...

Wow, going to Brazil!!!! Travel Journal!!!! Excellent!!!!!!! Isn't the Paper Source a delightful store?

Stacey Pelika said...

I've thought about getting a Hem CD. I think J.Po gave me some stuff of theirs prior to my realizing (thanks to the Voice) that some of them had gone to OAM. I'm worried that they might be _too_ mellow, although I guess they'd fit the same niche as Belle & Sebastian, who I love.

Also, that's cra-zay that NotOleNelson and P.Ste were at the concert. Did NotOleNelson display the same wacky side that was in full force at Reunion? ("Just like heaven, '67!!!")

towwas said...

Yeah, NotOleNelson was pretty much on crack. I don't remember him being this wacky in college. (Not complaining - it's pretty fun.) Apparently one of the OAM grads in the band was a Knight, and was the original singer of Superman's Song, so the other people in our party kept trying to get NotOle to yell out requests. P.Ste was like, no. Uh-uh. No. Be quiet.

I'm going to see Belle & Sebastian in March. Woo!

towwas said...

I would like to share this comment from J.Vo, which she e-mailed because she reads my blog one-handed:

Being out at a hip club on a school night almost, but not quite, makes up for the whole loss-of-coolness-points-for-folk-dancing debacle. :)