Sunday, February 05, 2006

exciting new iPod discovery

I just discovered yesterday that if you put something in the "lyrics" information in iTunes, you can see it on the iPod. A couple of weeks ago I got all these Brazilian music CDs out of the library, and now I'm going back and adding the lyrics so I can study up. I don't think I'm actually going to learn much Portuguese this way (although I do know the word for "heart" now - thank you, João Gilberto) but I figure it'll help me make less of an idiot out of myself when I have to pronounce words I see written down.

Portuguese pronunciation is totally wacked. I was spoiled by the last language I learned - Japanese is all phonetic, all the time. But really, how would you pronounce "
de onde a senhora é?" Well, you're wrong. It's "jee ohn-jee ah see-nyore-ah ay."(Where are you from, ma'am?)

So I'm hoping the iPod can help me out as I listen to such songs as Seu Jorge's most excellent "Mania de peitão." Which means, basically, "mania for big breasts." Apparently he's anti-implants. Seu Jorge is the only reason to watch The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, and he was great in City of God as a bus conductor who gets sucked into the drug wars. Here's the link to the album I'm listening to.

1 comment:

grrrbear said...

*That's* where I've heard that name before. I am currently listening to the Life Aquatic soundtrack on the way into work.

Well..not right now, obviously, but it's one of the CD's in the changer that I go through during times when I'm commuting.