Friday, February 03, 2006

and I can help you how?

This message was forwarded to me today by our letters-to-the-editor people:

I would like to recieve an email to contact information for [my name], I am using an article that she has written for a major research paper and I need to contact her to obtain bibilography information so I can properly source cite her and write an author analysis. I am currently a second year student at [Institution], If at all possible I would like to recieve an email or information on how to contact [my name], as soon as possible.

Okay. Setting aside the issues of spelling and grammar, why would someone need to contact me for bibliographic information? She has my name. Presumably she knows the title of the article, the publication, and the date. After that, you pretty much whip out your style manual of choice and go to town.

Hm, maybe the key is this "write an author analysis" thing. Well, I guess I'll e-mail her and find out what that is. Any bets?

7 comments:

Annie said...

Maybe she wants you to write her book report for her!

OleNelson said...

Maybe she's Oprah and is thinking of selecting you for next month's Book Club.

towwas said...

Apparently she has to write a thing for her professor explaining my qualifications for writing about stem cell public policy. She had this whole list of questions, like whether I'd ever given a presentation on the topic or had an article published in an academic journal. I explained that, as a reporter, my qualifications are that I'm curious, I have a telephone, and I know how to write.

Unknown said...

WHO ARE YOU TO WRITE ABOUT SCIENCE IF YOU HAVEN'T EVEN CLONED A KANGAROO????

What are your qualifications to write this blog?

Stacey Pelika said...

Hi-lar-i-ous. Reminds me of when my students would ask me to comment on all sorts of big events, not realizing that much of my info on things outside my subfield came from places they could easily access (NYT, Slate), not from some secret poli sci news source (some seemed to think there was one) or my own brilliant mind [said sarcastically].

towwas said...

I have no qualifications to write this blog. Maybe I should give it up.

grrrbear said...

Nonsense TOWWAS, all you have to do to become qualified to write thei blog is present a paper on yourself to some conference devoted to you.

See? Just throw a conference of pure narcissim and we'll *all* present papers. Then you're *in*!