Monday, January 30, 2006

one, two, three

Today I went through media training. You know, to learn how to talk to the media. I realize this is a little ironic. But TV producers often book print people to talk about our articles - they have to fill the time somehow, and we are mini-experts on whatever we've written on most recently. We have the added bonus that we're guaranteed to be at least moderately articulate. The problem is, I'm really only articulate in print. I'm kind of hopeless when I talk. Through the course of four hours we learned about facial expressions, gestures, hairdos, and how to distill a message into something short and snappy enough to be useful for TV. So now I have a very snazzy little paragraph on what the South Korean research hoohaa means for the future of stem cell research. (If you want to know, you should read my story - it's on the website of [my publication].)

4 comments:

towwas said...

yeah! I've been trying to figure out a way I can get work to send me to Norway...but it hasn't happened yet. I'm also trying to figure out a way to get work to send me to Hawaii. On that question also, I have made no progress.

Annie said...

Hey, cool article!

towwas said...

Hey, thanks!

Cheryl said...

If you are sent to Norway - or Hawaii for that matter - you will probably need to bring a research assistant. I can do that. Or someone in Arts Management. Again, me. Or maybe you need someone who can hem pants, or knit scarves, or plan bridal showers. Again, I can help. Just let me know.