Monday, December 19, 2005

end of season

The end of Revels is really hard. For the last three months, and especially for the last few weeks, it's been part of my life every day - either I was at rehearsal, or in performance, or working on lyrics, or trying on costumes, or going over dance steps. It's so different from daily life and so much more fun.

And it comes with this ready-made community of people who are basically forced to like each other. Or at least to pretend that we do. Sure, there's the bossy people, and the snappy people, and the smelly people, and the disengaged people, and all sorts of people to be annoyed by, but there's room for everyone. Even the person who annoyed me the most two weeks ago has started to grow on me. Um, I just got distracted by the annoyingness here, but I like most of the people most of the time, and everyone has interesting stories and fabulous talents.

Last night, for example, I discovered that Miss S has magic fingers that take away headaches. Between her massage skills and Mr. Miss's parallel-parking skills, I've decided I have to take them with me everywhere.

It's particularly nice to be in an intergenerational group - from the seven-year-old girl who played my pretend niece to a few cast members who are pushing 70.

But anyway. It's over, and that's sad. The good thing is that the community goes on, if you seek it out. So here's to a Revels-y 2006. I don't know yet if I'm going to audition for next year...but I don't know if I can resist.

1 comment:

Liz Ryan said...

Hello fellow Reveller! Happy Solstice! Will you please jump over to www.frappr.com/revels and add your "pin" to the Revels Map that we are building? You can upload a photo and/or add a comment to other Revellers, if you like. Please spread the word! We would like to see all the Revellers online together! Thanks! yours - Liz Ryan, Boulder Revels