Wednesday, September 07, 2005

an encrypted email connection has been detected

I have just spent an incredibly irritating hour dealing with an error on my new computer. Software, man. It's a pain in the neck. So, I finally solved it, and I thought I'd just offer this explanation in case anyone else (like me) is googling "An encrypted email connection has been detected."

Hey, kid. You're not on your own. It happens because Norton AntiVirus's sad little mind can't handle SSL. Eudora's genius website suggests turning off SSL. (Not an option - my big brother runs the server, and he makes up the rules.) Symantec says to tell Norton Internet Security to stop scanning your e-mails. (I couldn't. I told it over and over, and it was like, no, thanks for your input, but I'm going to keep trying to scan them.)

Here's what worked:
Open Norton Internet Security.
Under "Firewall" turn off "Privacy Control."

Yeah, I know, silly me - I should have known to turn off "Privacy Control" under "Firewall" when I had an e-mail problem.

Okay, I'm sorry, this is the most boring blog post ever. But I'm just so annoyed! And maybe I can help someone else solve the problem a little faster than I did.

No comments: