Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I need a haircut

More than a year ago, I was thinking, man, I should really get a haircut, it's been a long time. And then I didn't. It's gotten to where I entertain myself at my desk by searching for split ends and lopping them off with the office scissors. Not like it's difficult to find the split ends. They're on almost every hair, sometimes inches from the end.

The problem is, my hair genius is in San Francisco, and I just don't trust anyone else. My hair can do dull, ugly things when cut improperly. And good haircuts cost serious money here, not like Mr. $19 Genius in SF.

Also, I kind of want to donate my hair to one of those charities that makes wigs for kids, but (a) I'm not sure I'm ready to cut 10 inches off all at once, and (b) is it really that much of a gift if the ends are to-tal-ly nasty? I mean, do they even want my scraggly hair?

And, finally, I want long hair for this Christmas show I'm in so they don't make me wear a wig.

So here I am. Just me, the office scissors, and an incredibly stupid little dilemma.

2 comments:

Annie said...

I could use a haircut. And I live in SF and have no trusted hair genius. Who is your erstwhile hair genius?

towwas said...

Oh, man. Rene is a genius. Use him well. He runs the International Academy of Precision Haircutting, 415-934-9204. Last time I was there - it's been several years - it was at 638 Minna St #12.

It's a school, which is why it's cheap, so you have to call and ask which days he has students. They're advanced students - the one time I had my hair cut by a student, she owned a salon in Oakland or something. But if you go on one of the student days when he doesn't have a student, the genius himself cuts your hair. That's happened to me a few times. Oh, and even on the student cut, he came in to look over my hair and fix it.

The student cut took 2 or 3 hours, so it's definitely a haircut plan for people with free time. You can also just schedule a cut from the guy, but it's, like, $60 or $70.

I think J. Po has been to him - she may have more recent opinions.