Friday, July 25, 2008

enthusiasm and the lack thereof

I've been having trouble drumming up much enthusiasm for my job lately. But things are turning around, I think. Last night I called up the EAP, which was incredibly helpful and I would completely recommend to anyone, and the nice lady made me feel better about life.

Then this morning a totally sweet photo assistant stopped by and asked if I could talk to some high school students in an hour or so. Of course, my immediate reaction was, "Talk to people? Uhno." But she assured me it would just be two or three small girls, and I figured I could use a break, so I agreed to do it.

And it was great! The small girls (they were, like, 13 and shy) were quiet but their teacher and the friends she brought along had questions, and everyone seemed to be interested in my job. She'd originally asked me to talk for 15 minutes, and I ended up staying for about 40. And, you know, my job *is* interesting. It's technically a dream job. A lot of the day-to-day can be pretty miserable, especially in the last six weeks or so, but I do get to do some cool stuff.

So I kind of rediscovered a bit of my enthusiasm. Yay! Let's hope I can hang onto it!

On an unrelated note, if you have access to Spice's blog, you must go over there and see the picture of me at age 17. I find it kind of mindblowing. I look SO YOUNG.

4 comments:

erin*carly said...

i'm glad you're feeling better. :)

i think we have the EAP thing here, too. perhaps i should consider it for deployment. i know my friends can only take so much craziness from me.

Anonymous said...

Those kids - they'll getcha every time!

Annie said...

You know what makes me excited about my work? Giving seminars. It forces me to go through all of my data for the last few months, and then I'm totally shocked at how much I have learned. But in the end, giving seminars wasn't enough to keep me in academia...

Now what makes my new job satisfying is remembering how miserable I was as an academic. :-)

Talentedhands said...

I want to see the photo! Can you give me a link to Spice's blog?

Hang in there with the job. The ups and downs of any employment are enough to make you rolf your lunch.