Saturday, September 08, 2007

cool job

Today at work I wrote an appreciation of Madeleine L'Engle for the work blog. (How to find it.) I have a cool job. It was really fun to write, and my editor didn't change a word. (In case you missed the news, she died this week at the age of 88.)

I loved her books as a kid - did anyone read past the first few obvious ones? I define the obvious ones as A Wrinkle in Time and A Wind in the Door. I read a ton of others - The Arm of the Starfish and A Swiftly Tilting Planet were in that same fantasy series, I think, but there were also a bunch that were more adolescent-coming-of-age-y. I remember loving them. My editor remembers them being derivative and polemical, but it's possible I was into derivative polemics at the age of 14. Anyone read any of them more recently?

3 comments:

Coloradan said...

At first I thought you meant your editor died (which would be a good reason why she wouldn't change your post) because I hadn't heard about L'Engle. I was also a big fan--I think I read all of her books, at least the ones available at my local library.

Haven't read them recently. In retrospect I could see polemical, maybe, but derivative? Derivative of what?

Unknown said...

I've never even heard of these books that seem so-loved. But I saw a TV movie advertised the other day that, until they showed it to have a different title, I though was going to be Encyclopedia Brown. As M.Bro will testify, I was slightly ape-shit excited at the prospect. I just got a Transformers movie, though, so I guess I'm going to have to be patient for other parts of my boyhood to come to film. I'm waiting in line for "The Hardy Boys and the Abandoned Lighthouse" though.

Your staff photo looks very adventure-y. I feel like you should be wearing a multi-pocketed vest.

Cheryl said...

I recently re-read A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Not as wonderful as I remembered bust still special in that childhood way.