Thursday, June 28, 2007

music recommendation

Ok, this music recommendation is pretty much only for Sophist, because I don't know that anyone else is all that into arty music of the last few decades. But I'm really liking this CD. It's the "classical" soundtrack to Children of Men, including one piece that John Tavener composed especially for the movie, some of his other music, a Handel song, a very freaky piece by Penderecki, and some other stuff. If you saw the movie, you'd probably recognize the big Tavener piece, "Fragments of a Prayer" - it's mostly one female voice and strings, very haunting. I also love "The Lamb," although of course I'm partial to the choral version, and they use a string arrangement here.

Wait, I take it back: I'll recommend the album to everyone. Because you *should* like modern music! I think Tavener is very accessible. He's alive and composing now, but generally his stuff is pretty melodic. Ok, the friend I dragged to this world premiere might disagree with me - it took a little more work to appreciate, by which I mean she hated it, but hey, I loved it! He's very influenced by Eastern Orthodox traditions, so his music has really cool harmonies.

2 comments:

Annie said...

oooh oooh oooh thanks for the recommendation!!!! coool!!!!! I like John tavener...

Annie said...

Another great contemporary composer that everyone can love: Estonian composer Arvo Part. The guy is amazing. Te Deum is especially cool, of the ones I have heard (I have not heard that much).