Wednesday, May 02, 2007

no housing

Ok, I decided not to take the place. The neighborhood really isn't bad, but it didn't feel quite right. And I didn't feel like I could tell a friend who'd come over for dinner, "Nice to see you, now walk 15 minutes in the dark to the nearest metro!" Also, it was only in the 80s yesterday, and the apartment was pret-ty darn warm when I went to look at it again last night. So I'm going to keep looking. And hey - every month I don't find something is another month I don't pay rent.

Since this post about housing is boring, I'm going to share the e-mail I just got from Kay Ray. How much do we hate her?
heya [towwas]!
i'm at a computer (duh) and thought i'd say hi! Unfortunately this one doesn't let me do the whole gmail chat thing, bu you're probably not up since i think it's like 4 a.m. but i'm not quite sure, i decided it would be best not to pay attention to those things.
anyways, i'm in dublin!
it's beeeutiful here today, i think we're going to wander around town and do all the essential touristy things. london was lovely, lots of wandering and eating and i had cheese with a picture of wallace and gromit on it! and saw an exhibit on kylie minogue at the victoria and albert! and saw wicked!and other fun stuff.
later dude!
[kay ray]

7 comments:

Annie said...

I think you made the right decision on the apt. You are under no rush to find something so might as well wait for something awesome!

Kylie Minogue exhibit? I need to go to that museum now!

grrrbear said...

I'm with Sophist on this one. My first apartment after college was one where I sort of felt "okay" about it. But in retrospect, I wasn't all that happy with it. It was dull.

Ever since I've always made a point of only living in places where when I first walk in, I think "Cool!". It hasn't done me wrong since.

As for window units, I had one in my place in Cleveland. Yeah, they are kind of annoying if you want to take them out in the winter, but it beats not having any a/c at all.

towwas said...

Yeah, no a/c is not an option - last summer it was above 100 for like a week.

Unknown said...

I agree - if you're going to be spending many hours a day over multiple years in a place, you shouldn't feel "meh" about it unless you don't have any other options.

Talentedhands said...

Good call, TOWWAS. I hope you find a place that makes you happy soon! Make sure it has good water pressure in the shower.

towwas said...

I did love the apartment, in that walk in and go "woohoo!" kind of way - it just needed to be in a different part of town, with central air. Also, my mom pointed out (I didn't notice) that the bathroom didn't have a proper door, just a folding louvered door.

Stacey Pelika said...

I agree on the a/c - I have a window unit now, and I never put it in. It drives me crazy that my options are nothing or a/c, with no intermediate open-window option. Yeah, I know about 'fan,' there's something about a natural breeze that can't be beat...

I'd say that since you are under no pressure to find a place, waiting for the perfect storm of apartment, amenities and neighborhood is the right choice! You'll know it when you find it...