Monday, November 20, 2006

muskrat

Tonight I met up with a friend from grad school for a drink. We lived in the same building but studied totally different topics, and we never really had much to talk about, but it was still nice to see him. And the hot chocolate with Bailey's was ta-a-a-a-sty. Then when we were walking back to the metro, we ran into the Muskrat, who many of you will remember (and recognize by name) from Our Alma Mater.

I run into people I know all the freaking time. It started in high school, when on one trip to Colorado I saw two people from my school - some kid in the Denver airport and then my favorite teacher, who happened to be hiking the same trail in Rocky Mountain National Park at the same time as me and my family. When I was in Cambodia hanging out with Swallowed My Flea, we went to a bakery in a seaside town that turned out to be run by a friend of his from high school. She was sitting outside eating breakfast when we walked up. Ok, that wasn't someone I knew, but I think it was my influence.

Now that I'm settled in D.C., I kind of consider it a failure if I go out to a cultural event around town and don't recognize someone. I think this just proves that this is a very, very small town.

So anyway. Tell your stories of randomly running into people! I love those stories!

1 comment:

Stacey Pelika said...

Okay, random run-ins:

1. My sophomore year at OAM, I went to NYC during winter break to see my best friend from high school (and then to DC to see TOWWAS). We were in a restaurant on Broadway, sitting near the window, when suddenly the guy that I co-edited the opinions section of the OAM paper with (a guy I had a somewhat contentious relationship with) rapped on the window and came in and said hi. Very random.

2. A couple of years ago, some friends from MBAAM (My Bay Area Alma Mater - which is also TOWWAS's BAAM, although she has two of them) visited me here. We were walking down State Street when I pretty much walked right into my next-door neighbor from my OAM freshman year (yes, TOWWAS, J.Gr), who was touristing with his then-girlfriend-now-wife. We were like "John?!?!" "[Spice]?!?!" and then hugged and stuff like it hadn't been well over five years since we'd seen each other. He then revealed that he was the exact same person by telling me about some record store he really liked here.

3. When I worked at MBAAM, I was getting lunch at the law school when I ran into another OAM alum who I sort of knew (but who I had not seen since our OAM days) who was a law student. This run-in was not that random (since she was a student there and I worked in the next building over), but her reaction was pretty hilarious: "IT'S YOU!!! IT'S...YOU!!!" with a lot of pointing and jumping up and down.