Friday, September 22, 2006

desultory

Every now and then I hear a word pronounced and I'm like, oh! Just now someone said "desultory" on the radio, and I looked it up, and he was right - it is totally not pronounced the way I thought. (It's DESultory. I thought it was deSULtory. Kind of like sultry, only not.)

I can spell like nobody's business, but unfortunately this does not always carry over into pronunciation. Good thing I'm a writer and not an extemporaneous speaker, although if I was, I doubt I'd make a lot of use of the word "desultory." Shoot, just pronounced it wrong in my head again. Must correct that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's weird - I pronounce it in my head the same way you do. It's so ingrained that it took me seven times reading your correctly-enunciated spelling to hear it the way the radio guy said it. Now I have to work it into conversations all weekend and hope that someone else doesn't know so that I can act superior.