Sunday, April 23, 2006

picnic bread

I just had the most excellent party ever at my house - more on that later, but first I'm going to post the recipe for picnic bread, which was a big hit. So, hi, everybody who was at the party, here you go. I tripled the recipe for tonight, and substituted sauteed mushrooms for ham in one of the loaves.

For the bread:
3 cups flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 pkg yeast
2/3 cup water
3 tbsp butter
1 egg
(If you don't know how to make bread, ask your mom. Or your girlfriend. That means you, Mr K.)

Roll dough in rectangle. Put on greased baking sheet. Cut strips diagonally from the edges, leaving a couple inches uncut in the middle. (Kind of like the picture I just drew on my computer, only less hideous.)

Spread or sprinkle onto the middle of the dough, in this order:
1 1/2 tbsp pesto
1/2 cup garlic and herb cheese
1/4 cup sliced black olives
6 oz. ham strips
3/4 cup grated mozzarella
1/2 cup red bell pepper
1 tbsp sundried tomatoes

Cross dough strips over. Glaze with egg and milk. Let rise until double.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

Oh oh, credit: my mom got this off some daytime cooking show, years and years ago. No idea what show. I'm not sure when exactly, but we're talking late '90s at the latest.

1 comment:

MonkeyMom said...

P.S. This was wicked tasty... For anyone who needed an endorsement...