Wednesday, January 04, 2006

local radio

A year ago, local public radio station WETA quit playing classical music. I was really mad. Actually, I still am, and I may have gloated juuuuust a bit when the Post reported a while back that WETA's ratings were down since the change. But anyway, a lot of people said, oh well, at least we still have 103.5. (WGMS, a commercial station that played the kind of classical music you're supposed to have on in the background at work.) Well, I hope they aren't too attached to it.

UPDATE: It's worse than I thought! WGMS is *not* in fact being killed; instead, it's being shifted over to 104.1 - which currently plays decent rock-y music. Sigh. Of course, Z104 also plays a lot of baseball games, so I won't miss it too much.

UPDATE ON THURSDAY: A longer article. Apparently the Post radio plans to compete with public radio - that'll be interesting. I wonder how the people who work at the Post feel about being asked come up with stuff for the radio in addition to the newspaper and the web.

10 comments:

MonkeyMom said...

Will you get to write an editorial about this one too?

towwas said...

I'm hoping someone else will do it for me.

Stacey Pelika said...

On the bright side, how cool is it that someone has this name: Boisfeuillet Jones Jr.?

MonkeyMom said...

Crap! I like Z-104... Granted, a few of the jocks are idiots (that afternoon guy gripes my nerves), but the music was stuff I generally liked. Poopy.

MonkeyMom said...

Oh...and the "one year ago" bit reminded me? We're *totally* due for another trip to NYC sometime soon... :)

I wonder if MPF is back in town...

towwas said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, trip to New York - I *like* that idea. That was heck of fun. Maybe in a couple of months when work settles down for me.

towwas said...

Oh, weird! I thought the article said late March...I guess that was when the Post station is going on the air, but the other changes were already made? I wonder what's on the old WTOP frequencies now? Sigh - this is going to take some rearranging of the car presets. Because I always just devoted the AM band to WTOP, and now I'm going to have to squish it in with the FM presets.

MonkeyMom said...

Yeah, I heard classical on the ride home tonight too. And then?! On "Hot 99.5" they were saying that all the DJs from Z104 lost their jobs...which totally sucks because that morning show guy and his wife of scantly a year just got preggers... Oy.

The tiiiiimes, they are a-chaaaaangin'...

(and stuff)

towwas said...

No, as always, the Post was first: I read about it on the Post website yesterday.

Cheryl said...

I am going to miss 104. It was the only decent pop radio 'round these parts. Oh well, back to the CD's.