Wednesday, December 28, 2005

how dumb am I?

This morning I did a 40-minute phone interview with a guy. It was about stem cells. It was interesting. He was interesting. There was even a poignant moment. After the interview, I went to lunch with G-dog. When I got back, I looked at the tape recorder and realized there was no wire going into it. It had just been sitting there on the desk, recording my scintillating end of the phone conversation. I never record interviews - I was only taping this one because I needed the guy's exact words for a long Q&A.

But I was lucky, this time. He was such a slow talker, I figured I'd save time on transcribing later by typing as he talked. I got almost everything. Enough to use for the Q&A, anyway. I am so lucky. Here's hoping I never do THAT again.

3 comments:

grrrbear said...

Wow, nice save!

I often surprise myself by randomly covering my ass when it's probably not necessary, only to later find that it was. For example I seem to have sixth sense for slowing down right before I hit speed traps on the way to work in the morning.

Clearly, God wants me to speed.

Unknown said...

Grrrbear - if god wants you to speed, then who wants you to slow down? Hmmm? Someone who might have just wrapped up an unsuccessful war on Christmas, maybe?

Cheryl said...

You know, this just shows that you really shouldn't be working this week. Like I said, I'll write you a note and you can give it to your editor.