Thursday, November 03, 2005

plan my weekend

Dudes, I am stuck. I have two conflicting events Sunday afternoon. So you get to help me decide.

Option 1, 2 p.m.: The Washington National Opera is setting up a giant screen on the Mall and showing the matinee of Porgy and Bess, live. In November, yes, but it's supposed to get into the 70s on Sunday. Porgy and Bess is getting faaaaabulous reviews - most of the shows are sold out.

Option 2, 3 p.m.: The Washington Chorus is doing Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms and Carmina Burana. Carmina Burana's always good fun, although I might have trouble keeping myself from singing along. And people keep raving to me about the Stravinsky, including the members of my church choir who are in the chorus.

So, either way it's 20th century music...but outdoors or indoors? Opera or chorus? Free or less free? What a friend wants to go see or what my mom wants to go see?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Fly to Norway.

J.Po said...

Opera on the mall. Ever since Sophist schooled me on how much Hitler loved Carmina Burana, I can't listen to it with the carefree nature of times past. Alas.

towwas said...

Now, see, I would think in a case like that, you should defy Hitler and reclaim Carmina Burana for the rest of us.

Annie said...

I'm sorry I ruined Carmina Burana for you, J. Po! It's a shame. Just think of how many movie trailers have employed Carmina Burana for their medieval battle scenes and that undoes some of the Hitler association. And it's not Orff's fault that Hitler took a shine to him! Blech. If you are going to avoid a hitler-composer, Wagner would be the one.

So, TOWWAS. What did you decide? I can see the difficulty!
Porgy and Bess would be my pick.

towwas said...

I really can't decide. I was looking forward to the Stravinsky, but the open air would be nice...I could go see P&B later in its run, though. Geez, I don't know. I think my music buddy and I will make a concert-time decision on Sunday.

towwas said...

They Might Be Giants uses Carmina Burana (the shouty part, same as all the movie trailers) when they come on stage. It's pretty funny. And I must say, that part is DAMN fun to sing.