Friday, November 04, 2005

e-mail faux pas

Oh, oh, oh, I hate Outlook. It sends messages immediately without queueing them, so if you accidentally hit "send" - as I just did - you can't catch the message before it goes out. So I just sent a very rough first draft of a message to a guy who I have worked with before and like just fine, but don't know especially well and haven't talked to in several years. In this message, I am asking his institution to lay out a decent amount of money for an event I'm planning. In said rough draft, I had addressed him as "Hey Dude" and had, in fact, used the term "lay out" in reference to money. The plan, you see, was to rewrite this before sending it.

Please, never allow me near a computer again.

I sent a hasty "oops - I'm embarrassed" message, which I suppose is the best I could do, but boy - I'm an idiot. At least I didn't address him as "hey, hot stuff."

3 comments:

towwas said...

Ok, I just talked to him on the phone (what I should have done in the first place - lazy) and all is cool. Phew. Still embarrassed, though.

Annie said...

doh!!!! I hate that. I learned to keep the address space blank until I'm ready to send it. I have to erase it if I am "replying to". I've made that mistakes lots of times!

Monef said...

You do realise that outlook allows you to recall messages sent in error.....