Thursday, October 13, 2005

plunge

Apple wins. They convinced me. I lost at the advertising game. A brand-spankin-new iPod Video is on its way to me. Or will be, in five to seven days.

I'm having it engraved with "yorokobi utau tamashii." I was thinking song lyrics, I was thinking lyrics about singing, but then I was thinking, that's incredibly cheesy, so I went with song lyrics about singing...in Japanese. Because then only I know the extent of the cheese. And I *love* that song. I'd be happier, of course, if I could have gotten よろこびうたう魂 engraved on it, but they only do roman letters.

I'm so glad I waited (and hemmed and hawed), because the fancy-schmanzy-video-dancey 30 gig Video costs the same as the 20 gig regular (now old) iPod cost last week.

11 comments:

Stacey Pelika said...

You will be delighted, however, to discover that song titles can be displayed in Japanese characters - as I found out after loading my "Lost in Translation" soundtrack...

Annie said...

That new iPod looks so freakin sweet. Are you going to take advantage of its video capabilities??

And the new one is supposed to be even thinner than the 20gb model, and with better battery life! What a sweet gadget.

Unknown said...

The longer I hold out, the better & cheaper the one I eventually buy will be. Since my music collection isn't growing as fast as the ipod's storage, I win.

towwas said...

Oooooh, it displays in Japanese!?! That is awesome! As I load my Japanese CDs in, I've been transliterating them, because iTunes *doesn't* display Japanese. Maybe I'll load them all again.

Yeah, I'll probably just buy some of the Pixar shorts and watch them on the metro. I can't quite imagine watching Lost on the teensy screen.

Cheryl said...

Wow, I want an ipod too. Although, it doesn't seem very practical considering I work at home part time and hang out at home with Little Miss part ime. Hard to see how that little wonder of technology applies to me.

grrrbear said...

For those of us who don't know Japanese (the minority, I know) - what does "yorokobi utau tamashii" mean?

Otherwise I'll just assume it's Japanese for "Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so".

BTW TOWWAS, I'm full of iPod envy right now. =)

towwas said...

The words, in order, mean "joy, sing, spirit." If we're a little flexible with grammar, it means something like "spirit rejoicing in song." Cheesy, huh?

Annie said...

Hmmm, my iTunes does display Japanese. Very strange.

towwas said...

Really? Crap! I have a defective iTunes! Or perhaps a defective computer. (Is yours a mac? Mine's a PC.) I just downloaded the new update last night...maybe it does Japanese.

Stacey Pelika said...

My iTunes (PC) doesn't display Japanese - it's just a bunch of boxes. But then it is in Japanese on the iPod itself...

Unknown said...

My itunes doesn't display Japanese characters either. But only because I don't own any Japanese music! Buhduh-ching!