Sunday, August 28, 2005

so much for evite

So my little croquet gathering was today. It was good times: we played regular croquet and then X-treme Cro-K, in which the course started in the way back corner of the yard, wandered past the deer poop hazard and through the ground cover hazard, went down the steps hazard, and wound around the lawn.

But here's the "so much for evite" part: *half* the people who RSVP'd yes didn't show up. Only two called to let me know. I have tons of extra food, and yes - I did slave for hours over a hot stove. So here's the question: is an evite yes non-binding? Or are people just rude?

All the people who came are quality people, but I'm pretty annoyed about the ones who just didn't show up.

8 comments:

Cheryl said...

Oh, I am one who didn't call. I am so sorry, but I did call G-Dog and leave a message, does that count for something? Ooh, bad friend - I owe you mini-burgers for sure.

towwas said...

You did too call - that totally counts!!

Cheryl said...

Oh, okay, good. But I'll still have mini-burgers with you. (I love those things!)

towwas said...

mmmm....miniburgers.

grrrbear said...

I think the trouble with e-vite is that it makes RSVP-ing so freaking easy that people aren't as vested in making sure they actually show up. I've had the same thing happen at soirees I've hosted. So now I just plan on having about half as many people show as say they will. If we run out of food, there's always dominos, but so far I've never run out.

Annie said...

Aw man, what a bummer. I can't believe those idiots missed a chance to play XTREME CRO-K. And to eat all that food!

towwas said...

Grrrbear, you're probably right...I'm thinking for my next event, maybe I'll skip evite and call people to harass an RSVP out of them...maybe then they'll remember.

And if that doesn't work, I can always send someone after their kneecaps.

grrrbear said...

I hear Jeff Gilooly(sp?) is looking for work, maybe you could contract that part out...